Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Wednesday Vacation Blogging: Amsterdam


Hey, long time no Vacation Blogging here at The Generik Brand. In fact, it's been almost a year since we took these pictures in Europe last summer... which will help explain why I don't remember the names of some of the sites I'm including in this post. Like this big arena-thing here at the left. I'd be happy to have any of you readers enlighten me in the comments if you recognize something that I've forgotten. Amsterdam was near the end of the Grand European Tour, a city on the water, much like Venice. Unlike Venice, though, the weather was much cooler (for which we were grateful), and rather than open air cafes and ristorantes serving pasta and gelati, there were coffeeshops serving up juices, alcohol and all manner of cannibis-related products. The smell of hashish wafts through the air in selected spots all over the city. Uh, if you're into that sort of thing.

So now, without further ado, here's the Generik (and Mrs. Generik) view of Amsterdam.

This is a very old and very famous clock tower along one of the main canals. Do I remember what it's called, or why it's famous (other than for just being so old)? No, I don't. Still pretty cool-looking, though, isn't it?
Along one of the main boulevards.
Hi, Mom.
Just a typical corner scene along the canals.
This is one of the many sightseeing barges that ply the canals. They're relatively cheap, comfortable, and very informative... if you can remember what they tell you about the city, that is.
Houses along the canal. Many of the buildings in Amsterdam date back to the 1600s.
Inside the barge.
Tulip bulbs for sale.
Have I ever mentioned that I like to take pictures of buildings when I go on vacation?
The arch outside the Rijksmuseum.
The Rijksmuseum entrance.
This Vermeer is just one of many, many reasons to go inside the museum and spend a few hours.
Back out along the canals.
I don't know, I'm thinking maybe I could live there... especially if I could live right here.
Amsterdam is truly a city with balls.
And hey, they've got something for everybody there.
Hmmm... maybe this is why I remember so little about the city. ...Naaaah.
Rembrandt Square, with a passel of the ubiquitous Dutch bicycles parked wherever there's room.
Many of the bridges along the canals are lit up at night, making these reflected rings in the calm water.
The Hotel de L'Europe.
Another hotel along the water.
Yeah, I think I could stand spending some more time there.
Free Counter
Online Universities