Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wednesday Vacation Blogging: San Francisco!

Can I really call it a vacation if I live here? It was a three-day weekend... and San Francisco is a vacation destination for millions of people. But I suppose this is actually just an excuse to post some pictures from the Carnaval parade and festival that happened last Saturday and Sunday. Oh well!

You'd be amazed at just who you can meet and make friends with at these celebrations.
Waiting for the parade to start.
A pre-parade pep talk keeps everyone on the same page.
Belly dancers outside the laundromat.
So many different countries are represented in the parade.
I think this limo got lost on the way to the Dia de los Muertes festivites.
The trick to shooting the floats and participants in the parade is to get there early and walk through the staging area on Bryant Street before the whole thing starts.
The James Lick Middle School contingent poses for pictures before the parade starts.
I do believe in fairies, I do believe in fairies, I do believe in fairies...
Am I blue?
Just one of dozens of floats. This particular one is made of all recycled materials.
Being interviewed after a rousing chorus of "Cielito Lindo."
Dragons at the street fair. Not sure what dragons have to do with Carnaval, but I liked the way they looked.
"I don't think that word means what you think it means." I'm hoping one of my Spanish-speaking readers will enlighten me as to what this word really does mean.
Either a costume awaiting a participant or a very different kind of float.
I'm guessing she didn't drive there dressed like that.
I saw a lot of tall people ready to participate in the parade.
A whole lot of them.
Including this guy.
Maybe dragons do have something to do with Carnaval after all.
What I really enjoy about shooting in the staging area is the candid shots of people relaxing and getting ready for their moment in the sun.
Like this young woman on her cell phone.
The colors of the floats and costumes are outstanding, made even more dramatic by the great early-morning sunlight.
Of course, some people think there's really only one reason to come to Carnaval...

You can find more pictures at my photo site, here.
Free Counter
Online Universities