Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wednesday Vacation Blogging: Twin Lakes

There's a little slice of heaven not far from Bridgeport, California, just west of Highway 395 and northeast of Yosemite, called Twin Lakes. The first time I camped there I was 10 years old, and have been going back ever since. Mrs. Generik and I try to go there at least once a year, and will be there for a week in September. We camp at a place called Mono Village, and if you don't already know how to get there, too bad.

I mean, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

As Mrs. G demonstrates, it's all about the fishing here.
The Sawtooth Ridge overlooks the campground. If you were to fly directly over this mountain and glacier, you'd end up in Yosemite valley.
Deer are everywhere in the campground, and they're not afraid of anything. Unfortunately. It's also bear country, so you have to be careful about leaving food out.
Robinson Creek runs along the south end of the campground, sounding like a rush hour freeway and providing some good fishing.
You can hike from Twin Lakes up to Barney Lake through this meadow. It's actually much prettier in real life.
It takes half the apartment for Mrs. G and me to rough it properly.
I pride myself on the ability to start a campfire with just one match.
And here you can see the results.
Lower Twin early in the morning.
My friends Mary and Rick on a pontoon boat on Upper Twin.
The view from the boat. More of the Sawtooth Ridge.
Like I said, it's all about the fishing. Not necessarily catching, but definitely fishing.
Marty at the helm.
My very good friends Mary and Jon, who just celebrated their first anniversary in July.
"Like a damn mirror!"
Upper Twin just before twilight.
Occasionally we get weather. We've been rained on and snowed on, but nothing keeps us from going back.
Free Counter
Online Universities