Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stayin' and Stayin' and Stayin' the Course

He's got the urge to surge. Again. "More troops, we must have more troops, and then we will be victorious, and history will judge me as the greatest, most visionariest Preznit ever!"

I don't have much to add to the huge chorus of voices crying out in unison against Preznit Obtuse Obsession's insane plan to send more troops to Iraq in an effort to... to... well, I'm not sure what he intends to accomplish there any more, and I don't think he is, either; but I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't say something right about now. I mean, I've been too quiet for too long. (Oh, and I have a bit of a break this afternoon, so I've got some time to post.)

This is just insanity. The AWOL-in-Chief has presented the country with a completely half-baked, poorly-thought-out and utterly ridiculous plan that will result only in more bloodshed and tragedy. What's more, he's becoming increasingly isolated in his view that there is a "victory" to be had in Iraq, and that his plan, such as it is -- which flies directly in the face of the expressed will of the voters in November, the findings of the Iraq Study Group and virtually all recent polls -- has any chance of alleviating the violence there. And yet he stubbornly soldiers on, sure of the rightness of his position. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. By golly, he sure likes his jingo,doesn't he?

One thing I am pleased to see out of all of this -- though personally I'm too much of a pessimist and a cynic to believe it will make a whole lot of difference -- is the Democrats (with many Republicans joining them) finally showing some cojones and threatening to cut off funding, or hold hearings, or otherwise opposing this madness. There seems to be a huge and growing groundswell of opposition to Commander Codpiece's plan, and not just from loony lefty bloggers like me. When the Joint Chiefs of Staff, most military personnel, most politicians and some three-quarters of the American public are against a particular military undertaking, perhaps you might want to consider that the undertaking is simply not a very good idea. Whether Democrats in Congress, or members of the military, or the American public will be able to change this megalomaniac's mind, however, is doubtful at best. And whether any or all of them combined can put a stop to it is the 64 billion dollar question. But what other choice do we have?
Free Counter
Online Universities