Friday, June 27, 2008

I’m In Love With These Answers, With The (Radio On!), or These Answers Have Been From Tucson To Tucumcari, Tehachapi To Tonopah

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin'
Out on the road late at night,
Seen my pretty Alice in every head light
Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... willin'
Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
Baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin’


-- Willin’, written by Lowell George

That’s just one hell of a good song right there, I don’t care who you are or what your musical tastes encompass (or ignore).

This week’s On The Road extravaganza proved to be rather a tough nut for many of you, with even the mighty Eric B missing #2-5, #9 and the first Bonus line (he does deserve props for correctly identifying the Extra Special Bonus Ten Years After line, though). But at least it wasn’t a totally stumpifying debacle like last week’s all-punk list, where nearly all of you were left cross-eyed and pained. Most of you knew at least one or two on the list.

Anyway, let’s roll out the answers and see where we are.

1. And I wished for so long, cannot stay… all the precious moments, cannot stay… The Long Road; Pearl Jam (also acceptable: Eddie Vedder w/Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, from the Dead Man Walking soundtrack)

2. I pulled out of Pittsburgh rollin’ down the Eastern seaboard… Six Days On The Road; originally recorded by Dave Dudley, but the version I prefer is by Taj Mahal. Also covered by many other acts, including Steve Earle, Sawyer Brown and The Flying Burrito Brothers.

3. One two three four five six. Roadrunner; The Modern Lovers

4. I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow, I’m drunk and dirty, don’t ya know… Willin’; Little Feat (also acceptable, but just barely: Linda Ronstadt)

5. Sittin’ in the kitchen, a house in Macon, Loretta’s singing on the radio. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road; Lucinda Williams

6. Here now, don’t make a sound. Say, have you heard the news today? Long Road To Ruin; Foo Fighters

7. I’m goin’ home, and when I wanna go home… Going Mobile; The Who

8. You jump in front of my car when you, you know all the time that ninety miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive. Crosstown Traffic; Jimi Hendrix

9. Like a hurricane around your heart when earth and sky are torn apart… Freedom Rider; Traffic

10. Well we know where we’re goin’, but we don’t know where we’ve been… Road To Nowhere; Talking Heads

11. I’ve been drivin’ all night, my hand’s wet on the wheel… Radar Love; Golden Earring

**Bonus** I left New York in 1949 to go across the country without a bad blame dime, Montana in the cold, cold fall, found my father in the gambling hall. On The Road; Tom Waits

***Extra Special This Week Only Bonus*** Having a good time, baby, you’re having a ball. Your daddy don’t dig what you look like, don’t dig it at all. Sugar The Road; Ten Years After

We'll find a rest stop next Tuesday and see if we can't put together another one of these to test your musical reaction times.
Free Counter
Online Universities