Monday, November 28, 2005

On the Road Again (In Review...)

I'm writing this tonight from a hotel in Herndon, VA, just outside of our nation's capital, where I'm holed up for the next few days. I'm here with a couple of colleagues on business, not on holiday, unfortunately, so won't have much of a chance to check out the Smithsonian or haunt the halls of Congress. I've already been into the city limits for dinner earlier this evening, seen the Washington Monument, the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, the Capitol, and the FBI headquarters. I saw the White House and raised an appropriate finger to its current occupant.

Anyway, I tell you this not so much to brag, but just to let those of you who still check this site with some regularity know that the posting will probably be sparse (again!) this week. I may have some time in the evenings to jot down a few lines, but my time here is mostly taken up with work. My apologies. One of these days I'll get back to writing long, drawn-out, syntactically-tortured rants of a decidedly leftish flavor, but at the moment I'm a bit preoccupied.

While you're all busy searching for something else to do, allow me to suggest a movie or two for your viewing pleasure:

Walk the Line, with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. Oscar all over this one, probably multiple awards for Witherspoon and Phoenix. He may not look or sound just like Johnny Cash -- hell, who does? Who could? -- but he makes you believe despite that. One hell of a good film.

Good Night and Good Luck, with David Strathairn and George Clooney. The guy who plays Joe McCarthy steals the show. Excellent and timely examination of an era in American life that people today could learn much from, and should always keep in mind.

Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic! This one is for those who are not just NOT easily offended, but who actively seek out the type of humor that makes you actively cringe and look around to see if anyone is looking at you laughing. Funny, but Jesus fucking Christ!

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, with Robert Downey, Jr. ,Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan. I went into this one with not very high expectations, but was astounded at how funny it was. I laughed harder watching this than I did the Sarah Silverman movie. An absolute fucking riot, and I don't care if it made sense or not. Funnier than hell. Funnier than shit. Funnier than any curse word you and a Navy full of sailors can come up with. Just damn funny. If you don't go see this one, you missed a good one.

Okay, must make some phone calls now...
Free Counter
Online Universities