Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More B&W

I was looking at the black and white world
It seemed so exciting
If you'd only put me back to back with that girl
When the night's inviting
With just a little lighting
There'll never be days like that again...

-- Black And White World, Elvis Costello

So once again I've been dabbling in the black (and white) arts, and want to share some of the results with you, my loyal readers. A few of these pictures came from my annual foray to the Carnaval parade and street fair this past weekend (including the first one, which is my new favorite); others from recent and distant travels and outings. This time I'm including a little information with each shot. Enjoy -- or, if you're of the same opinion as one of my nephews who, a number of years ago, told me in no uncertain terms that "black and white sucks!", don't. I'll leave it up to you. And as always, you can click on any picture for a larger version.

Smoking hearts, 24th and Bryant, SF. Carnaval '07.
El Diablo and some of the Bolivian contingent. Carnaval '07.
Yangshuo, China. This was just outside our hotel along the Li River.
A steamy night in Manhattan.
Nanjing Road, Shanghai, China, with the Pearl Tower in the background.
Making a connection in Prague.
Meat market in Chengdu, China. Taken by your humble blog host with Mrs. Generik's camera (because my battery had just died, and I didn't have the spare with me at the time).
One view of the London Eye.
The prettiest little girl in all of Russia at the complex of churches in Sergeyev Possad.
A door handle in Florence, Italy on an extremely hot and sunny day.
The Great Orme Tram, Llandudno, Wales.
Along Hadrian's Wall, northern England, near the border of Scotland.
Upstairs at the Musee D'Orsay, Paris.
A spectator watches the parade preparation for Carnaval along Bryant Street.
St. Stupid's Day '07, Washington Square, SF.
Winning over hearts and behinds minds; Carnaval '07.
GUM department store, Red Square at midnight.
This image of an overgrown cottage in Dublin is the first picture I took in Europe.
A drizzly afternoon along the Left Bank in Paris.
Spokes and feathers, Carnaval '07.
Three doors down, Harrison Street, SF.
Another photographer takes a break at the How Weird Street Faire (Howard Street, SF, '07).
The glory that was Rome is of another day...
At the train station in Carlyle, England.
Bamboo rafting on the Jade Dragon River near Yangshuo, China.
Arches and columns near the Uffizi in Florence.
Free Counter
Online Universities