Friday, May 11, 2007

Random 10 + 8

Over at my pied a terre one of my regular online stops, If I Ran the Zoo, my colleague Tom Hilton puts up a regular post every Friday, called the Random 10. This is a meme that's gone around for years now; you simply play your iPod or MP3 player on shuffle for a while, then record the first ten songs you hear. I already made my contribution to his post in the comments section there today -- I used a list of ten songs that had played on my iPod earlier in the week -- but I just got back from my after-lunch walk, and wanted to record the songs I listened to while out walking around the bay, because I thought it was a good strong set.

My typical walk takes me one hour and is 3.5 miles long, which means that I walk at a pace of... hang on, let me do the math... 5,280 feet in a mile... carry the 1... multiplied by pi... 3.5 miles an hour. Not bad for an old guy, who listens to (mostly) old songs that no one else would ever listen to by choice. So in that time, I typically listen to anywhere from 12-20 songs, depending on the length of the songs themselves. Today I got to hear 18 before I got back to my desk. Here they are, in the order that they came up:

1. Bad Company - "Bad Company" Bad Company
2. Aretha Franklin - "Respect" Atlantic Rhythm And Blues 1947-1974
3. John Mayer - "Neon" Room For Squares
4. Lord Creator - "Kingston Town" Pure Reggae
5. The Beatles - "Things We Said Today" A Hard Day's Night
6. The Black Keys - "10 A.M. Automatic" Rubber Factory
7. Madness - "My Girl" The Stiff Records Box Set
8. The Kinks - "Susannah's Still Alive" The Kink Kronikles
9. Paul Thorn - "Burn Down The Trailer Park" Burn Down The Trailer Park
10. The Clash - "Brand New Cadillac" London Calling
11. Thunderclap Newman - "Something In The Air" The British Invasion: The History of British Rock
12. John Hiatt - "Long Night" Slug Line
13. Los Lonely Boys - "Dime Mi Amor" Los Lonely Boys
14. Sir Douglas Quintet - "She's About A Mover" 1965: The Beat Goes On
15. Bob Dylan - "Nobody 'Cept You" The Bootleg Series
16. Lou Reed - "Dime Store Mystery" New York
17. Elvis Costello - "Suit Of Lights" King Of America
18. Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble - "Riviera Paradise" In Step

Feel free to add your own 10+ however many list, ridicule my selections or just stop in and say howdy in the comments.
Free Counter
Online Universities