Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Glenn Beck Is... RIGHT?!?

I posted this in the comments section to Kvatch's post at Les Enragés.org (see post just below this one) about the onerous comment ("I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today.") made by brain-dead right-wing tool syndicated radio host Glenn Beck regarding the fires in Southern California, but I think it bears repeating. Kvatch's point is that, in five of the counties experiencing most of the burning -- Ventura, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange -- George Bush outpolled John Kerry in the 2004 election, in some places by as much as 20%. These parts of SoCal are known to be Republican enclaves, hotbeds of modern conservatism (I know, I used to live down there in the Inland Empire), and their support for wingnuts like B-1 Bob Dornan and current corrupt Congressman Jerry Lewis is no secret. So my point, as I expressed it there, was just this:

I would argue that Glenn is right, though not in the way he thinks: Isn't putting George Bush in office proof positive that the voters who did so hate America? Or at least the America that you and I believe in?

I'm guessing, of course, that that isn't what Glenn meant when he said what he did. Still.
Free Counter
Online Universities