The Initial Answers
Anyway, here are the answers so that you can all see the very obvious vertical anagram and shake your heads at my self-centered lameosity.
1. When Johnny comes marching home again, hurrah, tra-la, he’s coming by bus or underground, hurrah, tra-la… English Civil War; The Clash
2. My head is spinning and my legs are weak, goose step dancing, can’t hear myself speak… Radio Sweetheart; Elvis Costello
3. When you climb to the top of the mountain, look out over the sea, think about all the places, perhaps, where a young man could be… It Ain’t Easy; Long John Baldry (also acceptable, and probably more familiar: David Bowie, as pointed out by Tom Hilton)
4. While the music played you worked by candlelight, those San Francisco nights, you were the best in town. Kid Charlemagne; Steely Dan
5. Well, I’m dressed up so nice, an’ I’m doin’ my best, an’ I’m startin’ over… What A Day That Was; Talking Heads
6. You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last. It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue; Bob Dylan (Bonus points to Rey Fox for correctly identifying The Byrds and Them [w/Van Morrison] as among the notable cover artists.)
7. Well, my room has got two windows, the sunlight never comes through, I’m so sad and lonely, baby, since I broke off baby with you. Lonely Avenue; Ray Charles (Also very ably covered by Van, as Melville pointed out, both live on A Night In San Francisco and in the studio on Too Long In Exile)
8. Ooh, let’s get down tonight, baby, I’m hot just like an oven, I need some lovin’. Sexual Healing; Marvin Gaye
9. I’ll start this off without any words, I got so high I scratched ‘til I bled. On A Plain; Nirvana
10. Billy, he’s down by the railroad tracks, sittin’ low in the back seat of his Cadillac. New York City Serenade; Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
**Bonus** What the hell is wrong with me? I’m not who I want to be. I tried spot cream and I tried it all, I’m crawling up the wall! What’s My Name?; The Clash
Next week's theme will probably be easier. And all about someone or something else.