Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Entertained and Inspired

Steve Earle came to my neighborhood last night, and am I glad I walked the two blocks it took me to get to the Great American Music Hall on O'Farrell to see him. I hadn't originally planned on going, even though I know he and I see pretty well eye to eye politically, but serendipity intervened. My good pal Marty had purchased a ticket for the show to use for himself, then got a call to go shoot a commercial up in Mendocino this past couple weeks. So, as a birthday present, he gave me the ticket and bid me go witness the rocking power and inspirational polemics of the very talented Mr. Earle.

That was a damn good birthday present.

How can you not like a guy who sings songs about revolution and redemption, with choruses like "Fuck the FCC, fuck the FBI, fuck the CIA, livin' in the motherfuckin' USA"? Or does a reggae-tinged tribute to our new Secretary of State with the chorus "Oh, Condi, Condi"? Or admits that he makes "an embarrassing amount of money for a borderline Marxist"? I walked out of the show feeling like I had just been to a revival meeting. I was filled with the spirit of left-wing Jesus.

Shelby Lynne's sister Allison Moorer ("What's the difference between a red-headed woman from Alabama and a tornado? ...Not a fucking thing.") opened the show, and also sang backup with Steve on about a third of the songs. Easy on the eyes, and her voice added a lot to his deep growl. (I still like her sister better, though.)

All in all, a great show, especially considering the price I paid to get in.

But why take my word for it? Fellow Bay Area Blogger mrgumby was also there, and he has a better review of the show than the one you're reading right now. Funny thing, too, because I had been reading his blog just before I went to the show, and left a comment there saying I was heading off to see Steve Earle, and then, there he was. Well, there they were. Both of them. All of them.

Go on, check it out. All the cool kids are reading it.
Free Counter
Online Universities