Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wednesday Vacation Blogging: Seattle

Seattle is one of my favorite cities. Isn't it one of yours? If it isn't, it should be. Mrs. Generik and I honeymooned there [insert: a long time ago], and I've been back a few times since then. Mrs. G had not been there since the honeymoon, but of course she had been regaled over the years with my tales of visiting there, and naturally overwhelmed by the pictures I took when I visited that amazing city without her. I love her because she's easily amazed and amused. (Shut up! I love her for other reasons too, but hey, that's important.)

We have a number of friends there, and always enjoy visiting the beautiful Pacific Northwest. As who wouldn't?

Last weekend we flew up for a few days to see some of those friends and to watch the Giants get their asses waxed, polished and handed back to them on a combo seafood platter along with some shrimp, crab and oysters. (We actually had hoped that the Giants would take it to the Mariners, but such was not the case; eeee-youch!). Leaving aside the fact that the team we went to watch sucked enormous collective sea anemone genital, I have to say that Mrs. G and I had one hell of a good time. We certainly had a better time there than the Giants did.

As who wouldn't? I mean, what a great city!

As always, click on the pictures for the larger version.

Rooms in Seattle are especially reasonable.
Like the Golden Gate Bridge here in San Francisco, the Space Needle is the signature icon of Seattle.
The obligatory shot of downtown from the observation deck of the Space Needle. The local police won't let you get past the city limits unless you can prove that you have taken this shot at least two or three times.
Mrs. Generik enjoys a piroshki and the early morning clouds.
She got the way to move me, Cherry baby...
You never know who you're going to make friends with in Seattle.
No, seriously, you really never know who you're going to make friends with there. And sometimes you don't care.

Wait... was that out loud?
Pike's Market. The Fisherman's Wharf of Seattle, except somewhat more relevant and infinitely cooler.
Professional Courtesy.
We stayed at the Hotel Max, a so-called "art hotel." Which was very cool -- they had original artwork from dozens of local artists on display throughout the building. This is one of the two pieces that were in our room. I wasn't sure it was right-side-up at first, but I grew to like it quite a bit.
The EMP -- the Experience Music Project (or make up your own interpretation of the initials). I've been inside there once, and I kind of feel like I never have to do that again. I mean, it's cool and all, but the outside is probably the best part about it. Does that make me an out-of-touch geezer... or an asshole? Or both?

Maybe.
Moving on, here's the roof of Qwest Field, where the 2005 Super Bowl almost-winner Seahawks play, with a big-ass cloud behind it.
I decided against getting a hair cut and a shave here. Maybe this place is the reason for that whole "grunge" look in Seattle a decade or so ago.
Down at the end of the EMP is the new SFM -- the Science Fiction Museum. It's probably pretty interesting -- provided you're interested in that sort of thing -- but Mrs. G and I just didn't have the time to check it out the way we should have. That's one thing I dislike about our whirlwind tours -- too many things to see, and not nearly enough time to see them all.
Public art is one thing, but natural art is even better. I think this is my favorite picture from the whole weekend.
We went to the Chittenden Locks at Lake Washington on Sunday, and Mrs. Generik naturally found the botanical garden. This is one reason I'm glad she did.
More arty shots of the EMP. Have you had enough yet?
Reflections of the Space Needle.
We spent a little time in the hotel lobby reflecting on... uh... the coffee table, I guess.
And here's a window treatment from the other side of the EMP that I really liked.
See, this is what I live for -- big buildings and big crowds of people. It doesn't get much better than this.
A baby Bonds juicing up before the game. He had to, just to steel himself from all the boos later on.
Inside the south side entrance to Safeco Field... there are more bats here than Carlsbad Caverns.
The field at Safeco. I'm guessing the Giants have little desire to see it again any time soon.
At Pioneer Square, the rebuilt Pergola reminds me of the arcades of Paris.
"Public art in Seattle ROCKS!"
"Public art in Seattle makes me puke!"
Bridge up at the locks.
And so we wave goodbye to Seattle.
The view from Alki, heading out of town.
Free Counter
Online Universities