Monday, September 03, 2007

40 Years Later

Yesterday I went out to Speedway Meadow at Golden Gate Park and, along with tens of thousands of my good friends, celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love. The place was filled with sunshine, good vibes, tie-dye, kids, dogs, families, young hipsters, graybeards and hippie chicks of all ages. Performers included Country Joe McDonald; Taj Mahal; the Jefferson Airplane (though not under that name, due to long-unsettled legal reasons); Moby Grape; Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks; the Charlatans; Ray Manzarek, Rob Wasserman and Michael McClure; New Riders of the Purple Sage; Canned Heat; the Chambers Brothers (actually just the Chamber Brother, Lester); Brian Auger; Lydia Pense and Cold Blood and many, many more. Because I got there after the show had already started, I didn't get very close to the stage, but that was okay. The sound was fine, and I could see all I needed to see. Here are a few of the pictures I took while I was there. As always, click on the pictures for a larger view.











Free Counter
Online Universities