Friday, December 14, 2007

All Hail These Answers, There's Something About Them (Go Long!)

I've certainly got a bunch of smart -- and some smart-ass -- readers. Every line but one was identified this week, and most of them were spotted pretty quickly.

Of course, it was a rather easy quiz this week... *cough cough!* And the theme was readily apparent. Right? Right.

Okay then, for anyone who still doesn't know them all, here are the answers (including the one obscure one that everybody missed):

1. Every time I think that I'm the only one who's lonely someone calls on me. Along Comes Mary; The Association

2. After all the jacks are in their boxes and the clowns have all gone to bed... The Wind Cries Mary; Jimi Hendrix

3. A screen door slams; Mary's dress waves. Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays... Thunder Road; Bruce Springsteen

4. Left a good job in the city, workin' for the man every night and day. Proud Mary; Creedence Clearwater Revival

5. Some other girls are fillin' your head with jive, so now you're acting like you don't know that I'm alive. The One Who Really Loves You; Mary Wells

6. I love the tone that's in your laugh, gasping for an extra breath... Mary; Scissor Sisters

7. Baby, one breath away, I'll find the words to say. I'll sit and light the bong. I'll hold my hit in real long. Mary; Sublime

8. Between Marx and marzipan in the dictionary, there was Mary. The Short Answer; Billy Bragg

9. His friends say stop whining, they've had enough of that. His friends would say stop pining, there's other girls to look at. There's Something About Mary; Jonathan Richman

10. When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me... Let It Be, The Beatles

**Bonus** If I could, I surely would stand on the rock that Moses stood. Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep; Traditional (recorded by various artists including Pete Seeger, The Kingston Trio and, most recently, Bruce Springsteen)

As Melville pointed out, the Bonus line appears in the song When You Awake by The Band. It's also featured in the song Linin' Track by Taj Mahal, and I suspect that, like many lines from many older, traditional songs, it has made its way into quite a few other works as well.

I'll see if I can't come up with one that's a little more difficult next week.
Free Counter
Online Universities