Thursday, January 29, 2009

Too Funny

Joan Walsh at Salon.com has it right about the current ridiculous and inconsequential Rush Limbaugh / Obama administration flap in her account of the recent skirmish she had -- and decisively won -- with discredited ignorant sexist blowhard former US Representative Dick Armey. I have to say, I'm suffering serious stomach cramps lately from laughing at the precipitous implosion of the Republican party. They've long run out of feet in which to shoot themselves; they now appear to be aiming their guns at their own heads, hearts and... well, I was going to say "souls," but everyone knows Republicans don't have anything even resembling such a thing.

Anyway, it's a great read, not least because of these particular paragraphs:

My heart goes out to Rush and Dick, seriously. And even more to poor, de-pantsed Phil Gingrey, a Republican congressman from Georgia. A few days ago Gingrey tried to tell Rush to back off, to stop criticizing congressional Republicans because he can't know how hard they have it, but within 24 hours he'd phoned in to the radio host's show to apologize to Limbaugh. "I clearly ended up putting my foot in my mouth on some of those comments (laughs) and I just wanted to tell you, Rush, and -- and all our conservative giants who help us so much to maintain our base and grow it and get back this majority, that I regret those stupid comments." Talk about grabbing your ankles.

Limbaugh, Armey and Gingrey are lost. They have no ideas for the economy (Armey kept babbling "tax cuts, tax cuts" on "Hardball" yesterday), they're captives of a narrow base ("real people" who love Limbaugh, Armey called them; narrow-minded people mysteriously obsessed with who might make them grab their ankles, is how I'd put it). Guys like Gingrey can't get reelected in their districts if they do the right thing for the country. But in most of the country today, they can't get elected if they don't. Their time has passed, and they know it.


(Emphasis mine.)

You go, Joan. You go. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this new day, new age, new era. All of you reading this, I urge you to check out the full post by the estimable Ms. Walsh. Because in my world, there are few things more heartening than seeing the people who brought this country to its knees with their wrong-headed, bankrupt policies suddenly foundering and sputtering and wondering why the American public is no longer buying their bullshit by the ton.

Their time has passed, and we all know it.


**UPDATE** I should have included a link to this excellent article by Mike Madden as well. Ahhh, Republicans in disarray... does it get any better than that?
Free Counter
Online Universities