Thursday, March 24, 2005

Like a Chainsaw Through a Dictionary

Thanks to my good friend Marty, who accompanied me to the Elvis show Tuesday night (and about whom I can say absolutely anything I want here, because I know he doesn't read this blog, the bastard), I have the set-list from that show. Check it out:


Elvis Costello with the Imposters
03-22-2005:
Oakland, CA, Paramount Theatre

1. Blue Chair
2. Uncomplicated
3. Clown Strike
4. King Horse
5. Country Darkness
6. Bedlam
7. Needle Time
8. Blame It On Cain
9. Either Side Of The Same Town
10. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
11. Clubland
12. Our Little Angel
13. Suit Of Lights
14. Kinder Murder
15. In The Darkest Place
16. When I Was Cruel No. 2
17. Watching The Detectives
18. The Delivery Man
19. Monkey To Man
20. Hidden Charms
21. Mystery Dance
22. Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
23. There's A Story In Your Voice
24. Pump It Up
25. Hurry Down Doomsday
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
27. The Scarlet Tide


As for the venue, if you're not familiar with the Paramount Theatre, you should really try to get to a show there -- or at least look at their website. It's a beautifully restored Art Deco palace, with plush, comfortable seats, leg room, good sight-lines and excellent acoustics. I don't think there's a bad seat in the house, really. I've seen Elvis there a couple times now; also saw Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard there last week, and Bonnie Raitt a few years back. I'm sure there are some other shows I've been to there that I'm forgetting just now, but it doesn't matter.

Growing up in Pomona, we had the Fox Theatre, which was also a nice Art Deco movie house, but not on the scale of the Paramount. That might be the best place to see a live show in the Bay Area these days.
Free Counter
Online Universities