Thursday, October 27, 2005

Wingnuts 1, Miers 0

To the surprise of virtually no one, Harriet "I'm as qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice as my work-husband George is qualified to be President" Miers has withdrawn her nomination. Well, gosh, Harriet, we hardly knew ye. Don't forget that old saying about the door and your ass, and hey, look, here's your hat!

Pardon me if I don't jump for joy over this revelation. I mean, yes, I believe that she was singularly unqualified to serve, and in that, I have to (chillingly) admit that I was in agreement with such dim lights of the winger universe as Ann Coulter, Robert Bork, George Will and Pat Buchanan. But the fact is that she was (and is) unqualified, and the nomination itself was just one more example of how Bush cronyism has turned our government into a cabal of sycophants and party apparatchiks who are prized more for their loyalty than their ability.

So sure, I'm glad to see that she's withdrawn, and yes I am enjoying just the slightest bit of schadenfreude over Bush getting publicly bitch-slapped by his own former defenders, not to mention flocks and flocks of formerly-adoring sheep, but I have little doubt that whoever he nominates to take her place will be even worse. Worried that he is in danger of having the fundie lunatic fringe desert him completely, he will likely name someone so vile, so extremely right-wing and dangerous that many of us will wish that the recently deceased William Rehnquist could be exhumed and reinstalled. Just like Bush's failed and destructive presidency makes us now wish for the halcyon days of the crooked Richard Nixon, so too might his next Supreme Court nominee make us all wish that the Senate had just bitten the bullet and put the overmatched Harriet in the SCOTUS seat.

Harriet Miers has withdrawn. Yea. Hurray.
Free Counter
Online Universities