Thursday, March 22, 2007

I-5 Tour, Part II

Less than a week after I got back from Fresno, I found myself once again on the road. Last Friday morning, Mrs. Generik and I pointed the Prius north and headed up to the Siskiyou County town of Yreka.

Yreka -- not to be confused with Eureka, which is on the coast and is confusing enough all on its own -- is just north of Mt. Shasta, not far south of the Oregon border, and is the home of my long-time friend Dennis, and a few other folks we like a lot, like Mike and Marcus. Our friends Jon and Mary came up from Paradise (near Chico) to join us for a long weekend, and it was great fun. I've known Jon for 40 years and Dennis for nearly that long, so, as you can probably imagine, there were more than a few stories and reminiscences swapped. Part of the time we spent at Dennis' family's set of cabins out near the Scott River, walking in the woods, playing cards, eating way too much and celebrating St. Patrick's Day by drinking just exactly enough (because we never, ever drink too much).

I have a whole lot of pictures from the trip -- more of which I'll post at a later date -- but here are just a few for now from our very enjoyable weekend. Thanks to Dennis and to Marcus (who cooked up a killer rib dinner Saturday night) and to everyone for showing us such a good time.

Welcome to the Last Resort at Scott River!
What with the heavy snow out that way, it had been some time since anyone had been to the cabins.
Since I knew we would be partying there, I brought my party hat. Here's Marcus, modeling the chapeau de communiste.
As you can see, it fit him perfectly.
Is it art, or is it trash? Maybe a little of both.
We stopped on the way home to get some photos of Mt. Shasta (coming soon to a generik blog near you), and I realized that, every year, millions of people come to California, many of them specifically for the... well-maintained rest areas.
Free Counter
Online Universities