Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ride The Wild Earth

Here in the SF Bay Area, we had ourselves a moderate little earthquake at 8:04 last night. The official estimate put it at 5.6 on the Richter scale, and it was a fairly sizeable temblor. Mrs. Generik and I were watching television, she was at the table and I was on the couch, when we felt the first rather strong jolt, then about fifteen seconds of sustained rumbling, getting a little stronger at the end. The epicenter was Alum Rock, near San Jose, about 50-60 miles south of us. No damage, nothing fell off the shelves or anything, just a few rattled nerves. I know people who say they don't ever want to come to California because they're afraid of earthquakes (of course many of them live in areas where they regularly get hurricanes, tornadoes and floods), but personally, having lived here all my life and having been through plenty of them, I think that's foolish. Most quakes aren't even noticeable, or are just barely so. Last night's shaker got my attention, but the worst thing that happened is that a couple of the pictures on our living room wall are now slightly askew.

Ultimately no big deal, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else get rattled and want to talk about it?
Free Counter
Online Universities