Thursday, April 03, 2008

Hold The Peanut Butter Conspiracy

My pal Victor Acker, from South Weymouth, MA (known to my capping friends as "flavio"), sent me a copy of his latest musical effort this week, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. Johnny Cake and Moon Pies by Marmalade Army is available to all discerning music lovers who crave a little vintage psychedelia in their iTunes shuffle. (I know, I know, the band always sounds better when you know the boys in the band; still, this is worth a listen.) Up to now, Victor and his brother Dana -- known musically as the Acker Brothers -- have put out mainly jazz records, such as Swingin' Singles and Dungaree Jazz, so this latest effort is quite a departure for them. Marmalade Army's sound is straight out of the groovy psychedelic '60s, with swirling keyboards and ringing guitars and melodic pop harmonies. There are, of course, requisite nods to the Beatles and Beach Boys sound, but also tips of the Army hat to such '60s stalwarts as Mike Curb, Small Faces, Herb Alpert and Perez Prado. Check it out if you get a chance, and hey, it wouldn't hurt to buy one as a gift for that old unreconstructed hippie in your life. Throw in a banana to smoke and you'll make his week.
Free Counter
Online Universities