Friday, July 25, 2008

Pin Up These Answers

So George got the connection, as did Eric B (I knew he would, despite my comment about him possibly being flummoxed by this week’s theme – that was really just to goad him on). The rest of you, while you were able to identify a few of the more obvious songs, did not make the admittedly rather obscure connection of why these songs go together the way they do. A partial answer is that these are all songs from bands that played the London club scene in the years 1964-1967, but the real unifying theme is David Bowie’s 1973 album Pinups. Bowie paid tribute to those bands by covering all these songs – in the order in which they’re listed here – at the height of his glam-rock popularity on a release that was sandwiched between the albums Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs. So if any of you had identified a song here and listed Bowie as the artist, you would have received credit from me.

Alas, none of you did. And so here’s a tip: Go out and buy (or stay at home and download) this album and listen to it and tell me it doesn’t rock hard.

Trivia note: That’s proto-skinny supermodel Twiggy, a ‘60s icon, posing with Bowie on the cover.

Now cover me, I’m going in for the key…

1. Hey Rosalyn, tell me where you’ve been… Rosalyn; Pretty Things

2. Whoa, here it comes… Here Comes The Night; Them (w/ Van Morrison)

3. Early in the morning by the break of day, that’s when my baby went away. I Wish You Would; The Yardbirds

4. Emily tries but misunderstands, ah ooh, she’s often inclined to borrow somebody’s dreams till tomorrow. See Emily Play; Pink Floyd

5. Oh, little baby, you know I’ve been away, oh, little baby, you know I’ll come today, don’t you know that… Everything’s Alright; The Mojos

6. Got a feelin’ inside, it’s a hot certain kind, I feel hot and cold, yeah, down my soul, yeah. I Can’t Explain; The Who

7. Monday morning feels so bad, everybody seems to nag me. Friday On My Mind; The Easybeats

8. With your long blonde hair and your eyes of blue, the only thing I ever got from you… Sorrow; Merseys

9. I’m on my own, nowhere to roam, I tell you, baby, I don’t want no home. Don’t Bring Me Down; Pretty Things

10. Shapes of things before my eyes, just teach me to despise… Shapes Of Things; The Yardbirds

**Bonus** I can go anyway (way I choose)… Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere; The Who

**Second Bonus** In my life I’ve never stopped to worry about a thing. Where Have All The Good Times Gone; The Kinks

Back at it next week, kids.
Free Counter
Online Universities