Friday, July 11, 2008

The Royal Answers

Kings and Queens and Princes, that’s what this week’s theme is made of. And although I’m sure such exist somewhere, try as I might, I could not locate a Princess song. I expect Eric B (who was back in form this week, missing only #1, #7 and #8) will soon write with a list of songs with Princess in the title or are by Princess-related artists.

Once again, a good collective showing by the usual suspects. Props to George for correctly identifying the Bonnie “Prince” Billy song, which I’m sure ahab would have done as well had he showed up in time. And thanks to all of you for playing.

Here’s the key to the kingdom, for those of you keeping track of the royal lineage at home:

1. When the numbers get so high of the dead flying in the sky, oh, I don’t know why… Love Comes To Me; Bonnie “Prince” Billy

2. Cat’s foot iron claw, neuro-surgeons scream for more at paranoia’s poison door… 21st Century Schizoid Man; King Crimson

3. She keeps Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet, “Let them eat cake,” she says, just like Marie Antoinette. Killer Queen; Queen

4. Oh! Take me back to dear old Blighty, put me on the train to London Town… The Queen Is Dead; The Smiths

5. There’s a little black spot on the sun today. It’s the same old thing as yesterday. King Of Pain; The Police

6. Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life… Let’s Go Crazy; Prince

7. Put on your lipstick, apply your makeup, sometimes you’re living in a dream… Stepping Out Queen; Van Morrison

8. I dreamed I did a good job and got well paid, blew it all at the penny arcade. Riding With The King; John Hiatt (also very ably covered, and perhaps the better-known version, by Eric Clapton & B. B. King)

9. Hello, one and all, was it you I used to know? Can’t you hear me call on this old ham radio? King Of The World; Steely Dan

10. I got lumps in my throat when I saw her comin’ down the aisle. I got the wiggles in my knees when she looked at me and sweetly smiled. Little Queenie; Chuck Berry (also perfectly acceptable: The Rolling Stones)

**Bonus** Uhh! Awww, sookie sookie now! Hey! Oww, uhh! Come on baby! Hey there, sugar darlin’, let me tell you something, girl, I’ve been trying to say now. Groove Me ; King Floyd
Free Counter
Online Universities