Friday, August 01, 2008

Answers Of The Female Persuasion

After last week’s collection of pin-ups, I guess I’ve had women on the brain lately.

Not a bad collective showing from you testosterone-laden rabble this week, though you all missed #7 (understandably) and the Bonus line (which even Eric B missed – in fact, he only got six out of this week’s eleven right, missing that plus #1, #3, #7 and #10). And I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m still a bit surprised that there are no English Beat fans among my readers. What is it about the premier ska band of the ‘80s, a band that makes you want to dance for hours with every groove it lays down that you don’t like? I’m mystified and bewildered.

But I’m not so mystified or bewildered that I can’t post the answers here for you. Props to all of you who helped identify most of these lines, and a shout-out to robo’s lovely wife, who is named after one of my very favorite Allman Brothers’ songs.

1. Crossroads seem to come and go, yeah. The gypsy flies from coast to coast… Melissa; Allman Brothers

2. She tries not to shatter, kaleidoscope style, personality changes behind her red smile… Christine; Siouxsie & The Banshees

3. She plays wipeout on the drums, the squirrels and the birds come gather round and sing the guitar. Kate; Ben Folds Five

4. I got on a city bus and found a vacant seat, I thought I saw my future bride walking up the street… Nadine; Chuck Berry

5. (Oh yeah, come on) I met you at J.C. Penny, I think your nametag said Jenny. Debra; Beck

6. Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you… Julia; The Beatles

7. Your prettiness is seeping through, out from the dress I took from you, so pretty. Naomi; Neutral Milk Hotel

8. From distant star to this here bar, the me, the you, where are we now? Allison; Pixies

9. Is it all in that pretty little head of yours? What goes on in that place in the dark? Veronica; Elvis Costello

10. Long ago life was clean, sex was bad and obscene and the rich were so mean. Victoria; The Kinks

**Bonus** All set luncheonette, kitchenette to let. I bet I get hamburgerette again. Jeanette; English Beat

I guess we'll probably do this again next week, unless we don't.
Free Counter
Online Universities