Friday, February 08, 2008

STFU, Senator Useless

If you've ever signed one of the many on-line petitions to impeach The Lying Sack Of President and His Main Vice Bush and/or Cheney, or sent a letter to your Senator or Congressperson on the subject, chances are you've received back a form letter like this one (emphasis mine):

Dear Mr. (Generik):

Thank you for your letter concerning impeachment proceedings against President Bush. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome the opportunity to respond.

In our recent elections, the American people expressed clear disapproval with the path this country was on. They are tired of partisan politics and of an Administration that pays little heed to the wishes of the American people. They want-and deserve-a Congress that holds the Administration accountable and fulfills its Constitutional responsibility to check and balance the Executive. I share this sentiment and am determined to work hard and across party lines in the United States Senate to promote issues that are of real concern to most Americans, including the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, homeland security, global warming, and lobbying and election reform.

At this time, however, I believe that impeachment proceedings against President Bush will only divide the country even further, frustrating our hopes for a meaningful change in direction, while having little chance of success.

I have been deeply disappointed by many of this Administration's actions and have been outspoken in those instances. Nevertheless, given the challenges our country faces I believe that we need to focus on constructive and cooperative steps that would lead us in the right direction.

Again, thank you for your continued correspondence. If you have any further questions or comments, please contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.


Sincerely yours, Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator


Translated: "At this time, however, I believe that blatant criminal behavior should not be punished as long as it was committed by someone in power who is still supported by even the smallest fraction of American citizens and corporations who may possibly vote for me in the future, contribute to my campaign coffers, spend vast amounts of money lobbying me or do business with me or my spouse in a manner that will cause me to become even more wealthy than I am already. Pursuing criminal charges, or even investigating them, holds little chance of success as long as we, the elite in power, wish to maintain the status quo and keep riding the gravy train that you insignificant folks contibute to, in whatever small way."

Do us all a favor, Dianne, and resign now.
Free Counter
Online Universities