Saturday, March 08, 2008

As I Was Saying...


Laid low by domesticity.

I'm baaaaaack. Thanks to all for your good wishes in my blogging absence. As you can see from the pictures above, typing was not the easiest thing for me to do these past two weeks.

What happened? Simple. I was doing dishes, and about to dry the last thing I washed, a Pyrex baking dish, when it slipped and shattered and a big piece caught my hand just under the index finger. Three hours later, I walked out of emergency all hopped up on goofballs, with stitches, a bandage and a splint. I've learned to do a lot of things with my left hand in the past two weeks that I'd rarely or never done before... but now I'm fine (and perhaps a little more ambidextrous than I was before). No lasting damage, just a small scar as a reminder. Which I plan on showing to Mrs. Generik the next time she asks me to do dishes.

Seems like a whole hell of a lot of hell busted loose while I was on the disabled list. Let me try to catch up on just a very few items...

The BARBARian gathering at Zeitgeist was a lot of fun, with a few new faces and a good, lively crowd. Fortunately, my injury did not affect my ability to lift a beer glass or talk politics. By popular demand, we'll be putting together another one of those fairly soon.

There were some rather prominent primary elections and caucuses a while back, weren't there? Former Governor Do The Hucklebuck dropped out of the presidential race (and Rep. Ron Paul Dance Dance Revolution seems about to), ceding the Republican field to The Angriest Man In the Senate, St. John W. McSleeps With Lobbyists. Meanwhile, on the Dem side, Hillary broke Obama's string of 98 wins in a row with victories in Ohio and Rhode Island. She claimed Texas as well, but after the caucus votes have been counted, it turns out that Obama actually took more delegates from that state than she did. Nothing was revealed, and the pie fight* goes on.

Speaking of McAngry, how about that Reverend John Hagee endorsement he actively sought and very easily received? While Tim Russert and the rest of the corporate media try to sniff out some tenuous connection between Barack Obama and Louis Farrakhan, McFlip Flop is ecstatic to have the endorsement of one of the biggest Christian haters this side of Fred Phelps. Obama, rolling his eyes at the semantic nit-picking of Russert and others (including Hillary), made plain that he "denounces AND rejects" Farrkhan; meanwhile, Hagee "supports what I stand for and believe in," says McDubya Revisited. You'd think the media might just give this story a few inches or soundbites; you would, of course, be wrong.

Oh yeah, William F'Buckley died, and good goddamn riddance. A mannered, erudite supporter of bigotry and fascism is still just a bigot and a fascist, no matter how appealing his veneer of civility may seem to some. Here at The Generik Brand, we fervently hope that he, like Generalissimo Francisco Franco, remains dead.

Local hate-spewer Melanie Morgan lost her job at KSFO, and good goddamn riddance to her as well. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, Mel. In somewhat related news (inasmuch as both of these items have to do with radio hatemongers), it appears that whiny-ass titty-baby** Michael Savage/Weiner is about to get his ridiculous lawsuit against CAIR thrown out of court. Poor Savage/Weiner; the folks at CAIR had the temerity to call him on his hate speech by actually replaying his own words in a public forum! For shame.

In more recent news, Preznit Torquemada has just vetoed the bill banning waterboarding, and who saw that coming? Besides everyfuckingbody with a brain in the United States and the rest of the world and Milky Way galaxy, I mean. Jesus. What a small, sad, sick little man he is. If by "man" I mean "fucking war criminal who should be hanged for treason."

Completely unrelated to politics, I was unfortunately too late to post this link to any fans of Jill Sobule out there who might have wanted to contribute to (and be listed as a producer on) her next album. It seems she has made her goal already (with a small bit of assistance from me), but will happily accept further donations for important stuff like post-concert champagne and big, beefy bodyguards. Go on, you know you want to.

Also on the musical front, a performer by the name of Kien Lim will be here in SF this Tuesday, 3/11, playing at Coffee Adventures, 1331 Columbus Ave., from 11am to 1pm. I was lucky enough to catch Kien, who lives in London but visits the States fairly regularly, at last year's Rogue Festival in Fresno, and was very impressed by his singing/songwriting/guitar playing ability. I've since listened to the CD I purchased then many times, and enjoy it very much. Were this not a mid-day, mid-week engagement, I would surely be there. If any of you readers have the wherewithal to make it to this gig, I would highly encourage you to go.

I'm sure there a lot of things I missed, but then again, that happens every week. It sure feels good to be back, and good to be able to type with all my fingers again.

*h/t to paperwight for that very descriptive phrase.
**h/t to Tom Hilton for that extremely accurate portrayal.
Free Counter
Online Universities